Resources for the Book
SEO and PPC companies use a number of tools. Here are some of the significant ones.
Wordtracker lets you look at what people are searching at various search engines and shows you the popularity of the search terms. It stores the last sixty days of searches at Dogpile and MetaCrawler. Because it holds only the last sixty days, the results are seasonal. If you search in January, you'll find lots of keywords for ski, but few for hammocks. Visit Wordtracker.com.
WebPosition Gold (WPG) analyzes the text in the top websites in your category. It then gives you a report so you can modify your website to match those sites in keyword weight, frequency, word count, and so on. WPG is a basic tool at many SEO companies. WebPositionGold.com
Link Swap Management
Link swap management tools find potential crosslink partners, rank the websites, send email to them, keep track of requests, and check to see if the partners maintain the crosslinks. Search for link swap tools to find more tools.
Find Your Website's Rank on the Web
Alexa.com lets you see where you rank on the web and whether your website is rising or falling. Go to Alexa.com and enter your URL. In the results page, click See Traffic Details. We find that Koi-Planet.com is #340,438 on the web (out of six billion, so that's quite good). It also shows Koi-Planet.com moved up 175,000 places in the last three months.
How Much of Your Website Is Indexed?
This tool shows how much of your website is indexed at Google, AOL, Alltheweb, AltaVista, HotBot, and Inktomi. If your website has 200 pages, this tool may show that only seventeen of the pages are indexed. The search engines don't know about the remaining 183 pages at your site.
- Go to MarketLeap.com/siteindex and select Search Engine Saturation. You can also see how your competitors are doing. Type their URLs in as well. Type the three-letter password that appears at the left side of the screen (the case doesn't matter) and press Enter.
What Has Google Indexed at your Website?
You can see a list of the pages that Google has indexed at your website.
Information about SEM, SEO, and PPC
Books on SEO and PPC
- Search Engine Visibility by Shari Thurow (New Riders Press, 2003). This book is quite good. Shari approaches SEO as a complete strategy. It explains how to build a website that will have high visibility in the search engines. It's not just a matter of tweaks to the code. The overall design of the website combines usability, search engine compatibility, and useful content. Strongly recommended. SearchEnginesBook.com
- Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Web Site, by Mike Moran and Bill Hunt (IBM Press, 2006). Mike Moran is an IBM Distinguished Engineer. Bill Hunt is CEO of a SEO company that services Fortune 500 clients. Their 560-page book is a solid presentation on how to create and manage SEM strategies for corporate websites. It includes chapters on how to successfully present SEM campaigns to upper management. Strongly recommended. MikeMoran.com
- Enquiro's studies are very good. See the Eyetracking Study (2005) and Inside the Mind of the Searcher (2004). Visit Enquiro.com/research.asp
- MarketingSherpa.com has several good books:
1) Search Marketing Benchmark Guide 2005-2006: SEO & PPC Tactics & Results (2005).
2) Buyer's Guide to SEO & Paid Search (PPC) Ad Agencies (2005).
3) Landing Page Handbook (2005).
- Search Engine Optimization for Dummies, by Peter Kent (Wiley, 2004). A straightforward "what to do" list for SEO. Peter covers the technical points.
We've reviewed a number of books on SEM, SEO, PPC, and Google. See our website for these reviews.
Websites, Newsletters, and Chatlists
The main SEO and PPC chatlist is WebMasterWorld.com (WMW). Google staff participates in the forums at WMW. There's GoogleGuy for SEO, AdWordsAdvisor in the AdWords forum, and JenStar in the AdSense forum. They often post notices, answer questions, and offer information.
SEO & PPC Associations
There are also several SEO and PPC associations. You can use these to find managers or information for your SEO and PPC projects.